Sunday, May 8, 2016

Please help my beautiful sisters go to college

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting Kohima, Nagaland, India to meet Ganesh's family for the first time. Kohima is a lovely hill district in Northeast India, bordering Burma and Bangladesh. It is about as far Northeast as you can go while still being within India borders.
As we made the journey to the luscious hills of Nagaland, my eyes were mesmerized by the sight-- for I had never seen such a wondrous place in all my life. I found the vegetation and climate to be quite similar to that of Michigan. Similar flowers and plants like the marigold and hibiscus... rows and rows of pine trees. The nightly spring thunderstorms. It is the closest thing I will find to home-- not just for the familiar plants and weather but rather, the beautiful people I met along the way.

This post is not intended to be a play by play of my experiences in Nagaland (that will come soon) but instead, to ask for your support.
All my life, I dreamed of having a younger sibling to care for. Being the youngest of four children, I knew that would never happen... biologically anyway. Now, I am honored to say, I have two brilliant younger sisters named Parvati and Jyoti Pariyar. My short time being in their presence and observing these two, I came to find that they are truly the most caring and kind teachers a student could ever ask for. Sitting around a table of ten to twenty middle/high school students studying for exams, it was evident how well respected these two young women were among their peers. For more than three years, Parvati and Jyoti have tutored students in all subjects and all ages, to ensure the youth of Kohima keep to their studies. They have helped many 12th graders pass their final exams and move on college and be successful working citizens of the world. The young women support their parents and pay for their own tuition/school material fees with the money they make tutoring more than twenty students.

Due to financial reasons, Parvati, who graduated one year ago, was unable to attend college after high school. Graduating at the top of her class and scored at the top percentage in all of Nagaland, it is an understatement to say she was disappointed to take a gap year. But that didn't stop her from learning... Parvati has continued tutoring students and in her free time, studies subjects like physics, chemistry and other sciences. Her dream is to become a doctor one day and I have no doubt she will be very successful in her future.

Jyoti, the youngest Pariyar sibling has just finished high school this month and also received high marks (in the second division in all of Nagaland). She is eagerly waiting to continue her studies and dreams of becoming a nurse one day.

The two sisters will move to Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India (a few hours south of Chennai) next month to begin their college careers at DKM Women's College (Dhanabagyam Krishnaswamy Mudaliar Women's College). Parvati will pursue a Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology and Jyoti will pursue a Bachelor of Science in Food Sciences & Nutrition.

I am pleased to say that I will be supporting these two brilliant minds as much as I can but my contribution only gets them so far (covers their tuition and housing for 6 months-a year).

So that is why I am asking you, from the bottom of my heart, to please support my family and donate as much as you can to the Parvati and Jyoti Pariyar college fund. Any amount helps!


Visit http://gogetfunding.com/please-support-my-sisters-in-continuing-their-education/ to help these brilliant ladies flourish into strong, independent young women so they can support themselves and their family.

                             

No comments:

Post a Comment